Monday, December 3, 2012

Soup Sunday...on Monday

I love soup. It could be the end of summer, 90+ degrees outside, and I'll still order up a bowl of broccoli cheddar soup for lunch at Panera.

Every Sunday, I have a wonderful tradition of making soup while consuming adult beverages. However, yesterday I cleaned my apartment for 8 hours straight, and unfortunately it trumped any sort of soup making and (sadly) drinking.

But nothing stops this girl from her soup, and so Sunday Soup Day was carried over into Monday Soup Day.

Today's soup was....Spinach and Tortellini!

I found this recipe on my Allrecipes.com app during my break at work. I was craving a creamy tortellini soup ala Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi (btw it's NOT pronounced GUH-nochie, as I was kindly corrected today). I found one with a decent rating and decided to try it out.


I recently upgraded from chopping onions by hand to this sweet Target hand chopper. I thought this would eliminate the eighth-grade-boyfriend-dumped-me-over-AIM crying session I usually get from chopping onions, but sadly it does not. I just tear up a lot faster.


After I was good and emotional, I sauteed the onion and garlic in the pot until it looked cooked, added the vegetable stock, and waited for it to boil.


While waiting, I read some of my Cosmopolitan and drank a glass (or two) of Pinot Noir. Then, I added the tortellini, chopped spinach, and allowed it to boil.


I read more and drank more. I then looked at my soup, and thought, "That looks...cute." I tasted it, and it tasted...cute. Something was missing, so I added my go-to, salt. Something was still missing.

I went into my pantry and looked around. Call it a creative spark, red wine courage, or the fact that my roommate moved out and left me canned goods, but I had a brilliant idea to add diced tomatoes to the pot.


This, my friends, was it.



It was no longer an "oh how cute, she made a soup" soup. I now had an "oh snap, this non-Italian girl made a serious Italian soup" soup.


YUMMY!








No comments:

Post a Comment