Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Have Fun and Dream Big

And 18 months later, I blogged again. I knew my life would change in 18 months, and I dreamed of what my life could be at this point, but I had no idea it would actually happen. Dreams are so comforting to have, but scary when they actually come true.

I always dreamed of living outside of Florida. I remember in high school, I wanted to go to college in Georgia. I had no particular school I wanted to go to, and I didn't even know what I wanted to study, but I knew I wanted to leave. 

Instead, I stayed and went to a college on the west coast of Florida. When I was a junior, one of my best friends, Brittany, got married and moved away with her husband to Virginia right outside of Washington D.C. I visited her one time, and I wanted what she had. I wanted to be in a place so unfamiliar to me, it was comforting.

And then my dream came true.

I moved out of state. Far out of state. To the place that first gave me the feeling of freedom and a taste of what it would be if my dream came true. I now live in Washington D.C., and I could not
be happier.

But having dreams come true is scary. I am the only one in my immediate family who has lived outside of Florida for more than 4 months. Not a lot of people can say that. With that record comes a lot of pressure. Sometimes it is not understood why I feel the need to live so far away. I miss my family so much, and I will eventually have to make the decision to move back, but I feel I am in the right place for my life at the moment, and that is what keeps me stable here.


I am inspired by the energy of the people here. I feel as if I live in a city where everyone is competing against each other for who can do the most things at once the fastest and the best. It's a mecca for competitive perfectionists, and I am at home.

And the inspiration is fueling another dream.


I love to write. When I was little, I told everyone I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. Not very many kids dream of that profession or even know what it means or entails, and I am pretty sure I didn't either, but the dream stuck with me. Even through growing up, college, and a current career in retail, the itch to write never left me. And so here I am writing to the open and vast Internet, and it scares me to death. So, bear with me as I try to find my voice, niche, angle, whatever you want to call it for this blog. Whoever you are, whether I know you or not, I want to thank you for reading this blog. You are supporting my dream just by reading. 

Today was a serious-ish post, but I promise that is not always me. I've learned from the best, my mom, to not take anything to seriously, and to try at all times to have the most fun possible. Life is way too short, so have fun and dream big.





No comments:

Post a Comment